Thursday, December 14, 2006

Increase your Bandwidth by 20%

This is a great step to increase your download speed by up to 20% with one simple setting:

Did you know Microsoft reserves 20% of your maximum bandwidth for their own use? Such as Windows Update and of course interrogating your PC. Well as you can imagine this takes a huge chunk of bandwidth that you could be using to download other things. Note: The Microsoft Operating Systems that I know this works on are as follows; Windows XP Professional SP2, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows Media Center Edition, and Windows Server 2003.

Well now you know Microsoft limits your bandwidth, what are you going to do about it? Well I hope that you’ll read the following text:

Click Start>RunType “gpedit.msc” (no quotes)
Click Local Computer Policy>Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Network>QoS Packet Scheduler>Limit Reservable Bandwidth

It will say that it is not configured, this however is a lie! The truth you seek is under the ‘Explain’ tab:“If you disable this setting or do not configure it, the system uses the default value of 20 percent of the connection.”Now click back over to the ‘Setting’ tab and enable it, then set the value to 0.
And there you have it, your connection should go a lot faster.

You also may have to restart your PC for the changes to take affect, not sure though

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tried it this afternoon and it really works--at least I think it does. My internet connection really does seem faster. Thanks Lorne

Oh, can I do the reverse and make my connection slower? I may want to slow the connection down significantly on the computers in the operatories to discourage patients from browsing bandwidth-heavy sites like My Space

Anonymous said...

I don't think you'll see much difference with this. Your internet bandwidth varies due to network usage but this won't likely help the internet at all. The 20% reserved is likely to be 20% of your network interface speed (usually 100Mb) so you would get about an 80Mb speed. However, your internet is probably only 1-5Mb. Even by disabling this, your network interface can push and pull data as fast as your cable or dsl modem provides.

Interesting find though, I will definitely use to speed up my file transfers on my LAN.

OCgeeks Knowledgebase

OCgeeks News

Latest Tech News

Daily Techno-Babble